Monday 11 November 2013

Media Test: Shape-Based Character Design

Following my previous research on shape theory, I decided to develop this in practice a little further from the silhouettes I've already done. This time, I've produced full sketches of the two characters from Ratchet & Clank, where I've evaluated their existing form and changed the alignment of their basic shape. Originally, Ratchet is the hero type, who is adventurous, agile, and impulsive, and Clank is the calm, logical mind that aids him.


I applied a strong square, triangle, then circle to both characters to see how this effected their overall design. As you can see, the instinctive changes I've made have had an impact, where the new designs at least to me portray different base personalities. With Ratchet, the square makes him look more tough and serious, the triangle makes him look more cunning, maybe a little evil, and the circle has made him cute and innocent. With Clank, the square makes him also look more combat orientated, the triangle makes him look a little blank or precarious, and the circle makes him look jolly and friendly. Again, I believe based on the art style used, the shape theory effect differs, but I should still keep this in mind as a building or evaluating tool for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment